Public call to ensure children with short lives aren't short changed

 Overwhelming public call to make sure that children with short lives are not short changed by the state

  • A survey carried out by YouGov for Together for Short Lives looked at public understanding of children’s hospice funding in England
  • 81% of the public think that children’s hospices receive too little funding from statutory sources
  • The public think that children’s hospices receive 38% of their funding from statutory sources – in reality they only receive 21%
  • The public think that children’s hospices should receive more statutory funding (73%, of their total funding)

The survey by Together for Short Lives, the UK charity for children with life-shortening conditions reveals huge public support for the work of children’s hospices in supporting some of our most vulnerable children and their families. The public is delivering a powerful message – it’s time to put families first and make sure that children with short lives are not short changed by the state.

Reading timeChildren’s hospices receive on average around 20% of their funding from statutory sources – this leaves an 80% gap which has to be filled via other sources, relying heavily on the generosity and good will of the public.

This shows the public holds children’s hospices in very high esteem but in fact children’s hospices receive much less funding from the state than they had assumed.

 Children’s hospices are only one part of this puzzle. A range of wonderful charities and community nursing teams, often hidden from the public, work tirelessly to support families with children with life-shortening conditions – they too are reliant on the public’s generosity.

Add a comment

Your email address will not appear on the site
(Tick to hide your name when this comment appears on the site)
Please wait...