An updated resource is available for parents, carers or legal guardians thinking about the critical care options for their child.
A Parent’s Guide – Making Critical Care Choices for your Child has been developed by Together for Short Lives to help with informed decision-making about treatment and critical care.
It has been written in a simple question and answer style format, and includes some of the key questions or concerns regarding critical care. These include:
- What are critical care choices?
- What is an end of life care plan?
- Will my child carry on getting the care and support they need?
- Do I have a choice in my child’s critical care?
- How are critical care decisions made?
- What if I change my mind?
- What if my doctor and I do not agree?
Parents, carers, families and health professionals were all involved in developing the content, which has been reviewed and revised to include an updated directory of helpful services.
The leaflet is available to download in the family resources section of our website.