Are you a creative Nursery Nurse or a Care Worker? If so, we invite you to join our friendly team where you will provide a safe, supportive, and nurturing environment for the children and families we support! Helen House provides a 24/7 service and while previous experience working with children with special needs or in a hospice setting is not essential it would be an advantage.
Working as part of the Helen House Care Team, alongside Registered Nurses within a multi-disciplinary team, your role will focus on delivering excellent care. By encouraging and building children’s concentration, creativity, and sense of discovery, you will make a difference to their and their family’s lives. In this palliative and respite care setting, we are able to offer our children one to one care and create wonderful memories.
We are looking for candidates who possess an NVQ/Diploma in Health and Social Care/Nursery Nurse or equivalent qualification alongside consolidated experience in a related care setting. You will be a skilled communicator, able to adapt communications to a wide range of people and situations. As part of your role, you will be expected to implement activities for special needs children and sick children while using your own initiative and also working as part of the team.
Helen & Douglas House is a registered hospice charity based in Oxford, providing palliative, respite, end-of-life and bereavement care to life-limited children and their families. Hospice care is often profoundly misunderstood: the work we do is uplifting, positive and the impact we have is life changing! Our hospice is a bright, dynamic, and joyful place to work, providing a lovely outdoor garden space for our patients and staff to both enjoy. We foster a climate where team members feel able to openly question, debate and appropriately challenge their own and the practice of others to achieve clinical excellence.
Full-time and part-time hours considered. Flexibility to work evenings, weekends and during school holidays is required, as care is provided at the family’s request. Rotas are issued six weeks in advance so you will be given appropriate notice of your working hours/pattern.
Helen & Douglas House offer the following benefits:
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays, rising to 28 days after 3 years, and 29 days after 5 years of service.
- Flexible Annual Leave: buy or sell up to 5 days of Annual Leave per year.
- Life assurance x4 your annual salary.
- We are a direction agency for the NHS Pension Scheme.
- Group Personal Pension scheme with 7% employer contribution.
- Eye care voucher scheme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Octopus electric vehicle leasing scheme.
- Occupational sick pay and maternity pay.
- Enhanced maternity leave and shared paternity leave.
- A flexible working environment.
- Subsidised staff dining facilities.
- Investment in your Continuous Professional Development.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Recommend a friend scheme.
- Commitment to Equality, Diversity & Inclusion. We welcome applications from all areas of the community and run regular in-house EDI-focused events and workshops.
As we evolve as an organisation, we recognise there is no Planet B. Sustainability and waste reduction are of utmost importance to us. Our goal is to be more energy sufficient, recycle wherever possible, treat our employees fairly, be diverse and inclusive, and partner with sustainable companies. By doing so, we aim to preserve the environment to protect the planet, improve our community and minimise our carbon footprint.
Please note that everyone working for Helen & Douglas House are required to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service check. Helen & Douglas House is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We are an equal opportunities employer and value the benefits of a diverse workforce. We positively encourage applications from all areas of the community.