Together for Short Lives’ community engagement programme aims to encourage and empower communities to be actively involved in supporting families caring for a child or young person with a life-shortening condition. By doing this we can help children and young people make the most of the time they have with their families.
Over the next two years we will:
- work with services to help them work with their local communities to better support children with life-shortening conditions and their families
- raise awareness of the needs of children with life-shortening conditions and their families
- challenge social awkwardness, including myths and fears surrounding death and dying in our society
- work to support communities to put practical support in place for children, young people and families in key areas in the UK
- measure the impact of the work and extend it to other parts of the UK where we believe it will make the biggest difference
- work with services to establish and test a model of support which helps local families develop relationships or “circles” of support.